• The volleyball team opens fall practice
• The football team will practice with full pads on for the first time.
• Nick Saban will be at the podium at approximately 5 p.m. CT. BamaCentral.com will have full coverage.
How to watch the Crimson Tide
Thursday: “Training Days: Rolling with the Tide,” episode 1, ESPN2, 6 p.m. CT
Countdown to season opener
Alabama vs. Louisville in Orlando, Sept. 1: 24 days
None. We’re getting close, though.
Did you notice?
• Fox Sports will air “Fighting Tide: The Eryk Anders Story,” which includes the former linebacker’s visit to Tuscaloosa in the spring, on Aug. 22 at 6 p.m. CT.
• CBS Sports writers polled approximately 26 active college football coaches and 92 percent of them said the Crimson Tide had the best team heading into the 2018 season. "Alabama,” it quoted one as saying. “They have the best personnel in the country, by far. You could put together an all-star team of 22 guys with the rest of college football, and it would be comparable to Alabama's starting 22. They have two of the top five quarterbacks in the country.” Meanwhile, the preseason edition of the CBS Sports 129, which ranks every team at the BCS level, had Alabama at the No. 1 spot.
Alabama’s opponents this season:
No. 34 vs. Louisville
No. 54 Arkansas State
No. 62 at Ole Miss
No. 28 Texas A&M
No. 106 Louisiana
No. 64 at Arkansas
No. 35 Missouri
No. 74 at Tennessee
No. 30 at LSU
No. 16 Mississippi State
No. 9 Auburn
• Los Angeles Rams linebacker Mark Barron has been awarded a Social Justice Grant for his work with TAP Inc., the NFL Foundation announced on Monday.
On this date …
August 8, 1921: In what was described as the best coaching staff ever assembled at Alabama, Xen Scott announced he had hired Hank Crisp to handle his line while athletic director Charles Bernier would also assist the Crimson Tide. Crisp had been known as maybe being the best lineman to ever play in the Atlantic Coast area and the Virginia Tech grad would also coach Alabama's basketball, track and cross country team. Scott also said that the first practice would be Sept. 7, with the Thin Red Line preparing to open the season September 24 against Howard. – Bryant Museum
Quote of the day:
“You don’t have to flaunt your success, but you don’t have to apologize for it.” _ Gene Stallings