National Freedom Day (as in from slavery)
And Bubble Gum Day
National Baked Alaska Day
National Serpent Day
National Texas Day
National Wear Red Day
And National Get Up Day
We’re guessing that strength and conditioning coach Scott Cochran is a big fan of a couple of those (the last two).
Today’s Crimson Tide schedule
• Indoor track and field: Alabama at Carolina Challenge, 9 a.m. CT
• Men’s tennis: Minnesota at Alabama, 6 p.m.
• Gymnastics: Alabama at Missouri, 7:30 p.m.
How to watch, keep up with the Crimson Tide
• Indoor track and field: Alabama at Carolina Challenge, 9 a.m.
• Men’s tennis: Minnesota at Alabama, 6 p.m., Watch + Live Stats
• Gymnastics: Alabama at Missouri, 7:30 p.m., SEC Network
Yesterday’s Crimson Tide results
No games scheduled.
Did you notice?
• The Birmingham Iron of the new Alliance of American Football League finalized its roster and features numerous former Crimson Tide players including quarterback Blake Sims, running back Trent Richardson, offensive linemen J.C. Hassenauer, Dominick Jackson, Korren Kirven and Brandon Greene, defensive tackle Josh Frazier, linebacker Xzavier Dickson, cornerback Bradley Sylve and long-snapper Cole Mazza. The Iron will open its regular season against the visiting Memphis Express at Legion Field on Feb. 10
• When Alabama hosts Minnesota in tennis on Friday, the high temperature in Minneapolis will be -4. That’s actually up from the previous few days. Tuesday night, it got down to -77 in Thief River Falls, Minn. (in the northwest part of the state).
• Reminder, the Bryant Museum is temporarily closed effective today for renovations.
• Former Alabama linebacker Christian Miller had a comment on social media about the play he suffered his hamstring injury:
• Cecil Hurt of the Tuscaloosa News notes that there’s no lack of experience on Nick Saban’s new coaching staff.
• For those wondering of the addition of Brian Bakerto the coaching staff could lead to a flip from 4-star defensive tackle Nathan Pickering from Mississippi State, it’s not going to happen. Pickering, who has been committed to the Bulldogs since June, cancelled his official trip to Alabama this weekend.
• An SI.com headline you will never, ever see again: Nick Saban Tells 'Deez Nuts' Jokes at Practice So Now Nobody Is Allowed to Dislike Him Ever Again
On this date in Crimson Tide history:
February 1, 1943: Deploring the fact that millions of football fans weren’t able to see the sport’s biggest games, Alabama coach Frank Thomas proposed colleges make it a practice to have complete moving pictures of all of their games made available for public consumption. While showing the highlight film of Alabama's 37-21 Orange Bowl win over Boston College, Thomas said the number of calls and letters the athletic department received made him convinced that the public deserved to get a look at the film. Thomas also noted that he expected attendance would increase dramatically if fans could see the excellence of college football on a regular basis. – Bryant Museum
Crimson Tide quote of the day:
“I watch The Weather Channel every day. They're already saying what it's going to look like in every city in America. So what's going to be significant? Watch The Weather Channel, and you'll see what it's going to be like in Portland, Oregon." – Nick Saban after a scrimmage in 2018 on the first total solar eclipse to be visible to the U.S. mainland since 1979.