East Lansing, Mich.-- Michigan State split its two dual races this morning in Princeton, NJ against Big Ten competition, earning a convincing win over Rutgers before falling to defending Nation Champion No. 3 Ohio State in the second session.
With the exception of our novice boats, this wasn’t our best day of racing,” said head coachMatt Weise. “I think that in the varsity eights, we let the conditions dictate too much. We have to learn from it and move on, but we have been building toward something much better than we put out on the water today. Our novices had a couple of great performances - the first novices had two open-water wins, and the second novice eight went from a two-second margin in the morning race to an open water win in the afternoon. They keep improving, and today in a pretty convincing fashion.”
The Spartans lined up with Rutgers in the first set of races of the day, posting open-water wins in the varsity eight and novice eight, and a victory by a length in the second varsity eight and varsity four. MSU outpaced the Scarlet Knights by 26 seconds in the varsity boat and 29 in the novice eight. Rutgers earned their lone win of the day in the second varsity four.
WIthout a Buckeye second novice eight, the Spartans twice lined up against Michigan and Rutgers, and earned a four-seat win over the Wolverines and a 30-second margin over the Scarlet Knights. In the second race of those boats, the Spartans pushed their margin to 15 seconds over MIchigan, and finished nearly a minute ahead of the Scarlet Knights at the finish.
In the afternoon session, MSU took on No. 3 Ohio State. The Buckeyes posted open-water wins in both varsity eights and varsity fours, but the Spartans earned a big victory in the novice eight - the Spartans posted a time of 7:36.3, open water ahead of the Buckeyes (7:54.0).
Michigan State heads to South Carolina next weekend to take part in the two-day Clemson Invitational.
Michigan State vs. Rutgers
· Varsity Eight:Michigan State 6:55.2; Rutgers 7:21.8
· Second Varsity Eight:Michigan State 7:24.0; Rutgers 7:30.2
· First Varsity Four:Michigan State 8:17.6; Rutgers 8:21.9
· Second Varsity Four:Rutgers 8:15.2; Michigan State 8:21.9
· Novice Eight:Michigan State 7:25.1; Rutgers 7:53.2
· Second Novice Eight:Michigan State 7:29.3; Michigan 7:31.5; Rutgers 7:59.3
Michigan State vs. No. 3 Ohio State
· Varsity Eight:Ohio State 7:00.8; Michigan State 7:23.8
· Second Varsity Eight:Ohio State 7:37.4; Michigan State 8:09.4
· First Varsity Four:Ohio State 8:33.2; Michigan State 9:08.7
· Second Varsity Four:Ohio State 8:17.3; Michigan State 9:24.4
· Novice Eight:Michigan State 7:36.3; Ohio State 7:54.0
· Second Novice Eight:Michigan State 7:42.2; Michigan 7:57.6; Rutgers 8:35.4