Penn State football's new crop of freshmen and transfers have been assigned their jersey numbers, and they were officially announced on Tuesday.
The team released its updated roster that includes those who enrolled at Penn State in the summer, and a few players are wearing jersey numbers made famous by Nittany Lion icons. Most notably, John Dunmore will take on the No. 8 once worn by Allen Robinson.
Robinson, who currently plays for the NFL's Chicago Bears, wore No. 8 during the 2011, 2012, and 2013 seasons. He made perhaps the most iconic play of Bill O'Brien's tenure in charge of the program during his final year at Penn State -- a play that's simply known today as "The Catch."
Elsewhere, Trace McSorley's old No. 9 will be taken over by freshman quarterback Ta'Quan Roberson. Like McSorley, Roberson is a dual-threat quarterback who has the potential to burn opposing defenses with both his arms and legs, but it'll definitely take a lot for him to replicate McSorley's program-record breaking success in Happy Valley.
You can check out every new player's jersey number assignment below:
- No. 2: Keaton Ellis (CB)
- No. 8: John Dunmore (WR) and Marquis Wilson (CB)
- No. 9 Ta’Quan Roberson (QB) and Joey Porter Jr. (CB)
- No. 10: TJ Jones (WR) and Lance Dixon (LB)
- No. 12: Brandon Smith (LB)
- No. 13: Michael Johnson Jr. (QB)
- No. 19: Isaac Rumery (QB)
- No. 20: Adisa Isaac (DE)
- No. 21: Noah Cain (RB) and Tyler Rudolph (S)
- No. 23: Weston Carr (WR)
- No. 25: Daequan Hardy (CB)
- No. 28: Devyn Ford (RB)
- No. 36: Makai Self (CB)
- No. 44: Joseph Darkwa (DT)
- No. 51: Hakeem Beamon (WR)
- No. 77: Sal Wormley (OL)
- No. 79: Caedan Wallace (OL)
- No. 86: Brenton Strange (TE)
- No. 91: Dvon Ellies (DT)
- No. 92: Smith Vilbert (DE)
- No. 98: Jordan Stout (K/P)