COLORADO SPRINGS - The Mountain West enters week two of league play with the New Mexico Lobos on an 11-game win streak. In the week ahead, there are 10 Conference contests being streamed on the Mountain West Network for fans to watch. Here are the other storylines from around the MW:
MW BUCKETS AND BULLETS
- In the opening week of Conference play, four teams picked up a pair of wins with New Mexico, Boise State, Fresno State and Utah State each winning.
- The New Mexico Lobos have continued their hot streak, having won 11 consecutive games. The team is 8-1 at home and a perfect 4-0 on the road, as they visit UNLV and host Colorado State this week. The Lobo’s Nike McClure is ranked 10th in the nation in blocked shots (37), while her teammate Aisia Robertson is fifth in assists (102) and fourth in assists per game (7.8).
- Riley Lupfer and the Boise State contingent have run their win streak to six after wins last weekend against San Diego State (69-66) and Wyoming (72-64). Lupfer averaged 19.5 points to open league play and went 8-for-22 from beyond the arc.
- Utah State’s Shannon Dufficy notched two double-doubles over the past week, including a breakout 24-point performance against Air Force. She earned the Mountain West (MW) Women’s Basketball Player of the Week honors, becoming the second Aggie this season to earn the recognition.
- Heading into the week, the Mountain West has three teams inside the top-50 RPI rankings with No. 29 New Mexico, No. 45 Wyoming and No. 46 Boise State.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
1: Wyoming’s Quinn Weidemann is first in nation in 3-point field goal percentage, shooting 53.3 percent (24-of-45).
3: The number of 30-point performances by Mountain West student-athletes this season. Nevada’sTerae Briggs scored a career high 30 points in the Conference opener and pulled down 12 boards to join New Mexico’s Ahlise Hurst (39 points vs. Oklahoma) and Jaisa Nunn (32 points vs. Hartford) on the list.
650: Last week, Boise State’s Gordy Presnell picked up his 650th career NCAA victory, becoming just the 16th active Division I head coach to accomplish the feat. Presnell has 254 victories in his tenure with the Orange and Blue.
AHEAD IN THE MW
- The Fresno State Bulldogs will test their perfect 7-0 record at the Save Mart Center when Utah State visits on Wednesday, Jan. 9 for a 7 p.m. PT tip-off. The Bulldogs offense has come from senior guard Candice White, who averages almost 18 points per game and in the opening weekend of league action averaged 21.5 points. Her teammates Aly Gamez and Maddi Utti are adding 10-points per game.
- Colorado State’s league-best scoring defense (55.9) and field-goal percentage defense (.323) will visit the Air Force Academy on Wednesday, Jan. 9. The Falcons have the most free throw attempts (294) of any team in the MW this season, a figure that ranks 34th nationally.
- Also on Wednesday night (Jan. 9), San Diego State visits Wyoming, which is led by freshman Sophia Ramos, who is averaging 15.5 points per game. The Cowgirls split their two league games last week and are a perfect 7-0 at home this season.
This Week's Schedule
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 9
San Diego State at Wyoming 6:30 p.m. MT
New Mexico at UNLV 6 p.m. PT
Colorado State at Air Force 7 p.m. MT
Nevada at San José State 7 p.m. PT
Utah State at Fresno State 7 p.m. PT
SATURDAY, JANUARY 12
San José State at Boise State 1 p.m. MT
Air Force at San Diego State 1 p.m. PT
Colorado State at New Mexico 2 p.m. MT
Wyoming at Utah State 2 p.m. MT
Fresno State at Nevada 2 p.m. PT